As I enter into the final phases of post production, one of the requirements for the final film (and extra’s) is that is must be Close Captioned (CC) before the film can be distributed online (as mandated by the FCC). As a test, I’ve been able to get some of the extra content translated into many languages and synced with the timing of the spoken language, but I need help with making sure the foreign language captions are as accurate as possible.
The challenge is to allow others not only to watch the content with the close captions on, but allow people to easily change the captions if they are incorrect. So for those of you who have agreed to help, Below is our animation, Dental Mercury’s Toxic Journey Into The Environment.
- On the very bottom bar (of the video window below) you’ll see the word “English”, click that and a menu will pop up. Choose the language you are interested in helping us accurately caption.
- Once you’ve chosen your language, go to the top of that same menu and click “Improve these subtitles”.
- A new window will open that will ask you to sign in to “AMARA”, for faster access, you can use Facebook and other social logins. Sorry, there were no other online caption editing options and this seemed the easiest route to changing and saving the subtitles.
- Once you’ve logged in, the video will load in the top center and the captioned text directly beneath (in the center). click the play button on the video. As the video plays, the captions will appear on screen. Additionally, the captions will also start scrolling horizontally on a timeline directly beneath the video. If you see text that needs correcting you can change the text located in the vertical center of your screen (below the video).
- When you are done making all corrections to the captions, click the “Publish” button, found just to the right of the video.
After you have completed watching the video to verify if the language translations are correct, please contact me to let me know the captions for your language have been finalized.
Thanks so much for being willing to help us with the accuracy of the many language translations for our content, doing so will enable this important information to be shared with those who speak many other languages.